Clearly we did not end racism.
The behavior of Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity and the numerous incidents that precede it on predominantly white campuses are prime indicators that this war on racism is far from over. The ideal post-racial America eludes us now, more than it did in the Jim Crow era, because the status quo “hopes” colorblind ideology will permeate throughout. Unfortunately, all parties failed to consider the one variable we do not have control over–the ACTION of human will.
Sociologists and bigots alike create their own definitions of racism.
According to the Anti Defamation League, a group combatting Anti-Semitism, definition:
Racism is the belief that a particular race is superior or inferior to another, that a person’s social and moral traits are predetermined by his or her inborn biological characteristics. Racial separatism is the belief, most of the time based on racism, that different races should remain segregated and apart from one another. Racism has existed throughout human history. It may be defined as the hatred of one person by another — or the belief that another person is less than human — because of skin color, language, customs, place of birth or any factor that supposedly reveals the basic nature of that person. It has influenced wars, slavery, the formation of nations, and legal codes.
BXP concurs with this definition as presented by the ADL and stands in solidarity with those who subscribe.
In pursuit of a just society that rejects structural and institutional racism, we at BXP posit a voluntary change must occur in the hearts and minds of mankind in order for us to flourish in a hate-free society. Humankind is being called to a higher level and it requires us to reject the true root of every -ism that plague our societal order and that is HATRED.
Contrary to popular belief, ending structural and institutional racism facilitates the destruction of the system that protects and warrants the behavior of bigots worldwide. When we properly study the propaganda that promotes the evil nature of racism and supremacy, we find that the rabbit hole is never ending.
For example, David Duke, former grand wizard of the Ku Klux Klan and major voice in the national advancement of white people, considers himself a “Respectable Racist.” Here are some of his beliefs on race:
“Our clear goal must be the advancement of the White race Jewish people and separation of the White and Black races Jewish and non-Jewish people… non-White Arab birthrates will make White Jewish people a minority totally vulnerable to the political, social, and economic will of non-Whites Arabs. A social upheaval is now beginning to occur that will be the funeral dirge of the America Israel we love…What we really want to do is to be left alone. We don’t want Blacks Arabs around. We don’t need Blacks Arabs around. We’re not asking –– you know, we don’t want to have them, you know, for our culture. We simply want our own country and our own society. That’s in no way exploitive at all. We want our own society, our own nation….”
…and that was respectable. It behooves us to know more about who our enemies are and their motivations, especially someone like David Duke who is considering running for political office. Our strategy is just as important as our outrage.
It is obvious that the old adage “Pride precedeth the fall” will be the straw that breaks the back of post-racial America. Yet, we at the Black Excellence Project still believe that upright people will put their pride aside to truly fight this war on hatred and evil in a way that preserves the best of all cultures in humanity.
Writing a scathing article on how #SAEHatesME gives too much credence to an unjust system being dismantled before our eyes. Instead, I CHOOSE to reflect on this question I posed to a panelist at the 2014 Facing Race conference:
“If RACISM Ended Today How Did You Contribute To Its’ Demise?”
To that end, The Black Excellence Project:
- Created a Safe Space
- For all who work tirelessly to repair the damaged world system, in group members and allies alike, need a safe space to heal from pain, vent frustrations, and build cohesion. In the physical spaces, we left no group behind because we developed collective leadership that advanced shared agendas.
- Restored Hope in the Beloved Community
- We took the time to heal in our own communities. The in group learned how to trust again because we committed to holding all community members accountable. We protected each other and insulated each other by establishing sanctuary cities to centralize the culture.
- Advanced the International Decade for People of African Descent
- Understanding the time we were in, we took full advantage of the resources and opportunities presented by the United Nations to promote respect, protection and fulfilment of all human rights and fundamental freedoms by people of African Descent, as recognized in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
- Eradicated Poverty
- Over 10% of Black people were unemployed as reported by the Bureau Labor Statistics in Q1 2015. Organizations like the Greater Englewood Community Development Corporation and Blue1647 partnered to provide access to employment and entrepreneurship. Their fiscal sponsorship affected the trajectories of over 500 youth in Chicago alone.
We believe this is Racism’s last stand. Our generation has the opportunity to put an end to this once and for all. It will be the hardest work of our generation, but if we operate in love, with a full understanding of what we are truly up against there is no stopping the Glory.
That is not RESPECTABLE, that is REALITY.
The Human Mind is not an easy ship to turn. The Human “heart” is shaped by the issues of life. When we fully accept there are little white girls and boys who are being held HOSTAGE by the bigotry in their families and communities, maybe we can devise a plan to bring them to justice. When we fully accept there are Black Central Americans who believe they are second class citizens after generations of caste, we can devise a plan to bring them to justice. Like the great Dr. King stated, “Oppression and injustice ANYWHERE is a threat to justice everywhere.” The indigenous nations of this world have the playbook to bring all oppressed groups to justice.
In the meantime, Tell Us how you will contribute to the end of racism! Speak Ya Mind below…